While I don't really ask my children to memorize dates or really even math facts yet (and I will make that a big yet because we all know how the journey changes), I am having them work on poetry memorization and Scripture verse memorization. Both these things have brought such joy and beauty to our home, in a way that I never expected!
For our poetry memorization, we are using IEW's poetry program called "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization." While I don't want to bore you with all the nitty gritty, the basic idea is that you have the kids work on a poem every day. Once they master it, they get a new poem to work on, but also need to repeat the previously learned poem. I really thought it would take us all year to do the first set, which is a set of twenty poems. Imagine my surprise when the girls FLEW through memorizing them. After eighteen weeks, both girls have mastered the first nineteen poems, and we will be moving onto the second set of poems (which get longer and harder) when they have finished their personal selections. Imagine, also, my surprise when I realized that my youngest daughter, who will be two in two days, has the first poem memorized as well! Here is a video I managed to catch of her reciting the poem before breakfast one morning. If she can do it, really, who can't!??!!!
Ooey Gooey (Author Unknown)
Ooey Gooey was a worm,
A mighty worm was he.
He stepped upon the railroad tracks,
The train he did not see!
Ooey, Gooey!
To find our Scripture memory verses, I'm embarrassed to say that I just "googled" something like, "Important Bible quotes" and found a website that had Biblical quotes arranged by topics like obedience, God's word, praise and adoration, etc. For the life of me I can't find the link, and think I might've just printed the list and not bookmarked it, so for that I apolgize. The good news is that anyone with more of a background in Scripture could easily think of many notable verses without needing it. What I can share with you is the system we've been using, which, though it's very "low tech" by today's standards (says the lady who has hundreds of flashcards in Mental Case on the iPad) it is working, and I can't figure out how to replicate it with technology. It is the system recommended by the Simply Charlotte Mason website, and I highly recommend it. The girls are learning their verses so quickly, but more importantly, they are really spending time with God's Word every day. Recently during a weekly mass, one of our quotes was part of the mass readings. Both girls nearly went crazy in their seats! They were smiling, looking at me, elbowing each other...so excited that they knew the verse!
There have been times in the last couple months that I've wondered whether the extra time we've spent every morning memorizing Scripture and poetry has been worth it. It takes a good twenty minutes at a time in the day when every moment is precious. But seeing the fruits of our labor so clearly, I have not regretted filling their heads with beautiful words at all!
Please visit the other links in the Virtual Curriculum Fair for this week!
Learning Art at Our House by Jessica @ Modest Mama
http://www.modest-mama.org/2012/01/learning-art-at-our-house.html
history, up close by Jennifer @ a glimpse of our life
http://glimpseofourlife.blogspot.com/2012/01/history-up-close.html
Fitting in the Arts When Homeschooling by Laura O in AK @ Day by Day
in Our World
http://daybydayinourworld.com/2012/01/fitting-in-the-arts-when-homeschooling/
The Art of Exploration by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
http://homeschoolheartandmind.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-of-exploration.html
Appreciating the Arts by Cindy Horton @ Fenced in Family
http://www.fencedinfamily.com/blog/2012/01/appreciating-the-arts/
Beauty in Homeschooling? by Cindy @ For One Another
http://www.for-one-another.blogspot.com/2012/01/beauty-in-home-schooling.html
Heart of Dakota- The Fine Details- Part 4 Poetry & Bible by Lynn @
Ladybug Chronicles
http://ladybug-chronicles.blogspot.com/2012/01/heart-of-dakota-fine-details-part-4.html
The Art of Art by Brenda Emmett @ Garden of Learning
http://myhomeschoolgarden.com/2012/01/23/the-art-of-art/
http://www.modest-mama.org/2012/01/learning-art-at-our-house.html
history, up close by Jennifer @ a glimpse of our life
http://glimpseofourlife.blogspot.com/2012/01/history-up-close.html
Fitting in the Arts When Homeschooling by Laura O in AK @ Day by Day
in Our World
http://daybydayinourworld.com/2012/01/fitting-in-the-arts-when-homeschooling/
The Art of Exploration by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
http://homeschoolheartandmind.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-of-exploration.html
Appreciating the Arts by Cindy Horton @ Fenced in Family
http://www.fencedinfamily.com/blog/2012/01/appreciating-the-arts/
Beauty in Homeschooling? by Cindy @ For One Another
http://www.for-one-another.blogspot.com/2012/01/beauty-in-home-schooling.html
Heart of Dakota- The Fine Details- Part 4 Poetry & Bible by Lynn @
Ladybug Chronicles
http://ladybug-chronicles.blogspot.com/2012/01/heart-of-dakota-fine-details-part-4.html
The Art of Art by Brenda Emmett @ Garden of Learning
http://myhomeschoolgarden.com/2012/01/23/the-art-of-art/
The Beauty of the Arts - Where Does It Fit? by Joelle @ Homeschooling
for His Glory
http://homeschoolingforhisglory.blogspot.com/2012/01/beauty-of-arts-where-does-it-fit.html
Learning and Art Library by Angie @ Petra School
http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/learning-and-art-library/
Seeking Beauty: The Arts and Everything that Brings Beauty to Our
World by Christa Darr @ Fairfield Corner Academy
http://christadarr.blogspot.com/2012/01/seeking-beauty-arts-and-everything-that.html
How to Fit "The Arts" in School by Christine @ Our Homeschool Reviews
http://ourhomeschoolreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-fit-arts-in-school.html
for His Glory
http://homeschoolingforhisglory.blogspot.com/2012/01/beauty-of-arts-where-does-it-fit.html
Learning and Art Library by Angie @ Petra School
http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/learning-and-art-library/
Seeking Beauty: The Arts and Everything that Brings Beauty to Our
World by Christa Darr @ Fairfield Corner Academy
http://christadarr.blogspot.com/2012/01/seeking-beauty-arts-and-everything-that.html
How to Fit "The Arts" in School by Christine @ Our Homeschool Reviews
http://ourhomeschoolreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-fit-arts-in-school.html
Cute! Love it! Had to tell others about this as well. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/content/poetry-memorization-if-she-can-do-it-who-can
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IEW and I didn't even know this program existed! I will have to take a look!
ReplyDelete