I finally got the garlic into the garden today. What an amazing day to be out in the sunshine! The sun and wind have finally dried out the property, so it wasn't a complete soggy mess out there. I was so happy to A.) have finished school so I didn't feel guilty working in the garden and B.) have "helpers" who collected the leaves for me to cover the bed with when I was finished. Not to mention, the entire process, which will eventually produce 51 heads of garlic, took less than a half an hour. BONUS!
 |
| Step 1: stick cloves pointy side up, about 6 inches away from each other in loose, fertile soil. |
 |
| Step 2: Bury the cloves 2 inches under the soil. |
 |
| Step 3: Cover with leaves. Add garden netting to keep the leaves from blowing away. |
Traditionally, garlic is planted in the fall. It hides underground, hidden away, for quite a long time until the warm spring weather causes the green shoots to appear. But even then, it takes until mid-summer for the entire process to be completed. Although it takes a long time, it requires actually very little work AND you get a whole HEAD of garlic for each CLOVE you plant. Talk about reaping what you sow (and then some!) It is truly worth the wait and the space in the garden to plant garlic. This year, I spaced the cloves closer together and used only a half of a half of a bed. Let's see how that impacts the harvest...
Speaking of things that are worth the wait...It was so good to see my friends Matt and Laura P. from California recently. Along with Erin, we've been friends for well over ten years. Erin was the first person I met in college. All of us were on the outdoor pre-orientation trip in college, three of us went on to become outdoor leaders, and well, we all know how that story ended. :-) I wish California were a little closer...
 |
| Caeley loved Charlotte from the get-go! |
 |
| Ailin tentatively showing Charlotte her cracker. |
 |
| Four Friends. :-) |
 |
| Four Friends and their many female children. |
No comments:
Post a Comment