I.
Love.
Pope.
Francis.
We were watching live on Wednesday when the smoke turned white. I wept. My daughters stared at me strangely, but for the first time, they DID NOT make fun of their mommy (who "gets weepy over every little thing!")
We waited, glued to the TV for the announcement and his first appearance. I wept. Again. This man, clad simply in white with a wooden cross, waving awkwardly from the balcony was our new pope!
Immediately I knew something was going to be different. And then, he asked US to pray for HIM! Our earthly shepherd bowed before his flock so that we could pray for him. I couldn't stop crying.
As the days have unfolded, the more I read and see about this man, Pope Francis I, the more I love him. The articles, the pictures, the stories all point to his refusal to be anything other than a humble servant of Christ. It is truly building me up, filling me with the joy of the Lord, and I know it must be doing the same for others. He is a do-er. He's out there, among the people, kissing the feet of the sick, shaking hands with parishioners, refusing to ride home from the Conclave in a special car (he rode with the cardinals instead) and I can't help but think how much he's like Francis of Assisi (strong and determined, yet humble) and Mother Teresa of Calcutta (truly a champion of the poor and sick) rolled into one. And WHAT a combination.
For more amazing pictures of Pope Francis, click here.
It is a much known fact that I'm a "homebody" in an almost disturbing way. And I hate airplanes. I'd be happy to never ever get on one again. But seriously, since Wednesday, I've decided I'd go to Rome in a minute. I'd go just to be in the same place as this wonderfully holy man. There's something about him that just draws people. You can see it in the emotion of Catholics right now. You can see it in the press. Something good is happening, and I'm overwhelmed completely to the core just to be a part of it.
Here are some of my favorite Internet things about Francis (so far!):
1.) Francis' homily from today (It's a short one, and SO worth watching!)
2.) After mass, he stood outside for almost twenty minutes greeting the entire congregation. And yes, that made me cry too.
3.) Just one of many beautiful articles on him, in which he states, "How I would like a church which is poor and for the poor!"
4.) And for a good laugh, there's nothing like a Papal Meme! (Click the link for more funnies like the one below.)
5.) In an address to the Cardinals after he was elected Pope, he said, "We will work harder to carry out the mission of bringing Christ to mankind and bringing mankind to an encounter with Christ. This mission will bring joy to humanity." Yes, that is absolutely what this is...







No comments:
Post a Comment