Every year I watch
The Passion of the Christ on Good Friday. This year, I was particularly moved by the scenes with Mary. Perhaps my "
Year of Mary", has brought me closer to her and has helped me to see Christ through her eyes. One of my favorite scenes has always been the one when Jesus falls, and Mary rushes out to meet Him (flashing back to when He falls as a little boy). I remember seeing the movie in the theater, and that being THE moment when I couldn't contain the tears any longer. And then Jesus says to her, "See Mother, I make all things new." While this is a bit of artistic license on the part of Mel Gibson, since these words actually appear in Revelation and are not words that Jesus spoke to Mary, I can understand why they make so much sense in this context. And this Lent, these words touched me more than any other year.

I can truly see the way Christ is working to make things "new" in my life. The rough valleys are being made low, the crooked paths straight. Where there was once pain, suffering, and discord, peace, joy, forgiveness, and a new and greater love are entering in...a true Springtime of souls. It is that time of year for all of us, when we shake the chill of winter, when we peel back the rough and dying branches to behold the life hidden underneath. We realize with great hope and anticipation that behind every cloud there is sunshine.
 |
| Baby mint among all the old dead mint stalks from last year. This makes me so happy. |
 |
| Life begins again in the flower garden... |
 |
| The transplanted chives making their Spring debut. |
 |
| The kale, brussels sprouts, and cabbage seedlings thriving in the bathtub shelving setup. |
 |
| The two new apple trees planted, pruned and protected. The peach tree is behind me. |
There is so much to look forward to, so much life, growth, and newness to come.
Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!
And HE makes all things new.
No comments:
Post a Comment