I consider it my duty as a parent, especially a Catholic one, to steer my girls toward their respective "callings." So far, the older two haven't expressed a real interest in a particular career. But today I was brushing Caeley's hair and she was reminiscing about the Ravens game on Sunday. Here's our conversation:
C: (half to herself): Man, 37 to 7. That was a great game.
Me: You remember the score? You have such a great memory for details like that! You'd make a great football commentator.
C: Girls can't do that, like...
Me: (cutting her off) Oh sure they can! There are women down on the field interviewing players for halftime shows and stuff! There are women news anchors, too!
C: Well, yeah, but it's not like it could be the Halftime Show with Jim Nantz, Phil Simms and Caeley (insert our last name here)!
Me: Well, you never know! I could totally see you doing that.
That's where our conversation ended, but it's kinda been on my mind a lot today. Raising girls is so interesting. Just the other day I saw her really looking at herself in the mirror. I mean really. Kinda giving her reflection the old once-over. There may have been some Hollywood lips going on too, but I can't be sure. She's becoming so aware of herself and her place in this world. She's wondering where she fits. She's trying to figure out what our society will "let her" become, while at the same time working through who she is. It's a scary prospect, at least to me, for us to be moving into that new phase....the world beyond dolls and innocence. The world where she already feels pigeon-holed into certain career choices. The world where she already thinks that refection staring back at her should look a certain way. Maybe even different from what she sees. I'm really starting to feel that urge to hold on tighter. To freeze time so she will stay my baby a little bit longer. I'm not ready.
I don't know what Caeley will be called to, and I'm glad I don't have to worry too much about it right now. But I do know that she has an amazing memory, a head for numbers, facts, and more importantly, names and faces. She loves people. She loves to talk. She loves to be dramatic. She loves to be in the action. And she loves football. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, watch out.

No comments:
Post a Comment