Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stop and Smell the Tulips

We took a much needed day off today to go visit some friends and our old stomping grounds in Baltimore. It's always such a fun time, but today seemed especially special.  I got to meet my friend Jennifer's new baby, a tiny boy among all our big girls!  My girls got to spend time with their "best friends" whom they have known all their lives.  (I met Jennifer after Mothering Magazine published one of my letters to the editor seeking out like-minded parents in the Baltimore area.  Caeley was nine months old and her daughter Olivia was 4 months old.  And the rest is history...)  We visited the Tulip Gardens, this amazing grassy park full of all sorts of tulips.  What signs of spring for real!  And what a difference heading south makes!  It amazed me how much more the trees were green and how much more the the flowering trees were all bedecked in their petals.  It still feels like winter is trying to keep a foot in the door up here!  There were so many funny moments in the day---the first being Caeley's comments as we pull up to a mall before meeting our friends.

C:  Is that an ACE HARDWARE?
Me: Yes, yes it is.
C:  They have an ACE HARDWARE up here?
Me: Yes.  They have a lot of stuff here.  It's a city.
C:  Wow, that's really cool.  This place is really cool.
(Note: I have no idea how she even knows what an Ace Hardware is, or why she thinks it's so cool.  We do not live SO much in the country that she's never been to a hardware store!  In fact, we live right down the street from one, so this entire interchange just made me hysterical inside.  I can't laugh at her these days, though, as she takes it very personally.)

Later on in the day, I had Meara and her friend Natalie in my van heading back to Jennifer's house after our picnic.  Meara is just giddy with excitement to have her BFF in the car with her.  She's going on and on about something in her crazy baby talkish way, and all I get from the whole bunch of gibberish and giggling is "Natalie, I just giggled so hard I think I tinkled in my pants!"  Oh dear.  I did laugh then.

And lest we forget Baby A.  She thoroughly amused me by "attempting" to smell the flowers at the garden.  She kept trying...








...and trying...









...and trying!








She finally just gave me this total look that said it all:



What a lovely way to spend a Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment