Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Unplanning

It's that time of year (the brief period between curriculum shopping and the official beginning of summer) when the questions start rolling in about "summer plans."  I have to say, I kinda cringe at this one.  When someone asks, "What are you doing this summer," I'm tempted beyond all belief to answer, "Hopefully, absolutely nothing."  (Okay, we all know that I CAN'T ever do nothing, but I wouldn't really bore anyone with my list of "summer to-do's" like making book lists, cleaning out closets, writing a Spanish curriculum, etc.)  What they usually mean is "What are you planning to keep the kids busy this summer?"  And honestly, I'm not planning anything.  It's the one time of year when I don't have to PLAN ANYTHING.  I spend months and months and months planning every subject, from religion to art and music study, to math, science, etc.  During the year I plan our play dates, our meals, our visits with friends and family...It's planning, planning, planning for a large portion of the year.  And last summer we had a super short summer because of all the time we took off when a certain little girl was born.  

This summer, I would like just a wee break.  And I think the girls want a break, too.  That isn't to say that I'm not considering anything fun for the girls.  I have peeked at some of the brochures that offer summer camps and stuff in the area.  A nice idea in theory, but one that presents two problems.  The first being that most camps for Caeley's age are ALL DAY.  From some ridiculously early hour to late in the afternoon.  If I really wanted my kid in a situation like that, even if just for a week, do you think I'd be a homeschooler?  Nope.  So I resort to looking at some of the little half-day things, some of which sound downright wonderful.  But then there's the second problem.  She has a sister three years her junior, and NONE of the camps have an age range that can include both girls.  That means that no matter what, the girls would have to be in two different camps on two different weeks of the summer, and mom would be stuck living those two weeks out of the car, or else spending a ridiculous amount of gas money driving all over Timbuktu doing the shuttling.  (We are in the middle of nothing, by the way.)  I'm sure this is the reality that most parents face most of the time, but it is with a certain intention that I DON'T live in that reality, and the idea of entering it during the time of year that I'm supposed to be "off" is really not appealing to me.  I feel a little guilty about it, sometimes.  But then I think about the things I do what to do with/for the girls this summer, and "then I don't feel SOOOOOO bad...." (name that movie):

1.  Go to the lake.  (Sit in the sand.  Build sand castles.  Wade in the minnow-filled water.  Order the delicious fries from the little stand.  Be home before nap time.)

2.  Read books.  On the picnic blanket.  In the sun.  With lemonade.  Or iced coffee.  (Wind in the Willows is on the list for this summer.)

3.  Visit the museums in DC.  (National Gallery to do a "treasure hunt" for all the paintings we studied this year in school that may or not be there.  Air and Space to finish our year long study of astronomy.)

4.  Maybe visit friends in Boston.  Always wanted to go there.  Never been.  Do some early U.S. history curriculum connecting.

5.  Give special attention to middle child.  Listen to her words, her ideas.  Read the stories she wants just because she wants them, not because she thinks big sister wants them.  Mondays with Meara?  Hmmm...

6.  Explore our own state.  We're learning about our lovely state during our last term, and it astounds me how little I've seen of it.  Go to capital.  Go to Bay.  This is our home, let's really see it!

7.  Play dates with friends.  At any hour.  In the morning, even, since there won't be SCHOOL to do!  Catch up on all the half-conversations we've had all year.

8.  Eat Will's sausage.  (Okay, this may seem lame to most of you, but my farmer Will has incredible sausage and it won't be ready until late May or June.   Many many dinners of grilled sausage are in my future.)

9.  Learn to do something new or pick up an old hobby.  Girls could learn to knit.  I could take out that cross-stitch Noah's Ark that I was doing for CAELEY'S BIRTH.  (oops.)

10.  Go to daily mass.  No time constraints.  No excuses.  I miss it so much.

11.  Read my Bible study materials with more devotion.  Maybe find a kids Bible study for the girls to do.

12.  Build forts on rainy days.

13.  Paint, sculpt, and do all the art projects that got pushed aside during the year.

14.  Bake together.  Scones.  Brownies.  Cookies.  We miss baking.  We will have the TIME.

15.  Sleep in.  (Okay, this is me being hopeful for them!)

16.  Start exercising in the morning.  For me.  For family: more walks, hikes, bike rides, etc.

17.  Pamper husband.  He'll be home more.  We can all shower him with the love he deserves.

Phew.  I'm tired already.  It looks like I've found what I'm doing this summer.

7 comments:

  1. OK So I Laughed my way through your whole first paragraph! SOOOO True! Feel free to come and sit by the pool and catch up on a years worth of half conversations! That would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18. Sit by Ellie's pool. Chat with good friend. Listen to children giddy with the possibilities before them: play in the creek? Build a dam? Swim in pool? Remember to bring chocolate chip cookies. See # 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 19. Eat fresh tomatoes, warm from the sun. Right from the garden. Maybe with a leaf of basil on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah! Christine, you're so good at planning to unplan! Your plans to unplan look really wonderful -- Clearly, you're the epitome of "CARPE DIEM"! Have fun! ;-)

    p/s: I'm SOOOO GLAD that you started this blog -- The ONLY regret I had for leaving Facebook is that I'd no longer be able to get your wonderful updates .... God obviously heard the lamentations of my heart, and was WAY AHEAD of me! GOD IS GOOD! Thanks for sharing your life with us. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, wanted to ask -- WHY "CRUNCHY"? I get the "Country" and "Catholic" part, but "Crunchy"? Just curious .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need a traveling partner to DC let me know. I have older kiddos that could help with your younger ones. The museums are on my list too. I have much to do / enjoy before Marian heads off to college. :(

    ReplyDelete