Monday, June 25, 2012

Holy Garlic!

Although it's about three weeks too early for the garlic to be ready, it's ready.  I blame the hot days we had this Spring, and the relatively mild winter, but I'm secretly happy to get an early start on planting whatever is going to take its place in the garden bed.  I feel like I've been neglecting the garden, so it felt great to get back into the dirt.

There's something so simple, but so magical about pulling your food right from the Earth.  I couldn't help but thank God (probably for the millionth time this gardening season) for the little piece of co-creating that I'm blessed to do with Him out there in the dirt.  While it pales in comparison to the co-creating we do as parents, there is something profound about it that I can't quite articulate in words.

For some reason, my usually non-enthusiastic gardener was super anxious to help with the garlic!

The first couple heads took quite a while to get out...

Peeling back the dirt to find the edge.  Crowning, if you will.

The garlic is born!

At some point I looked up and realized I had a LONG way to go.

I enlisted the help of Omlet, who really did help loosen the dirt!

Laying out on a screen to cure.  (This helps the heads dry out and get that nice papery skin on the outside edge.)

No vampires here.  Fifty-two heads in all.

A large spot for something new!



No comments:

Post a Comment