Sunday, March 25, 2012

Slug Eyes

I've spent the last week slowly picking baby slugs off of my baby greens.  The worst part isn't that they are slimy, or TINY (almost impossible to see), but that you can only do it in the early morning or late at night because they hide during the day.  So, before our school day begins, I've had to devote time, in the fog and almost rain, to slug picking.


This is a FULL grown slug.  Not a baby.  And not my picture.  I stole it from Google.

While drinking cold coffee with slug-slimy fingers is far from ideal, I've gotten rather good at it.  I've developed my slug eyes.  I can spot those suckers a mile away now.  I was struck this morning, as I often am when I'm gardening, by a strange thought:  God has the best slug eyes.  He can see the tiniest black spots within us...those spots that, left untended, will eat away at the beautiful greens of virtue in our souls.  And He will sit there, and pick every single, nasty, slimy slug off of us, if only we let Him.


Today, my thirty-three day consecration to Mary has ended.  In the process, I have learned that I have slugs I never even knew I had.  God saw them, but I had to want to see them before I could.  Taking the time to really examine myself, give up the world (okay, Facebook and blogging), and let God pick off some slugs, has drawn me closer to Him, His mercy, and His Mother in a way that I didn't think possible.  And while the official consecration time is over, I am more inspired than ever to continue trying to grow in my faith, to listen to the plans that God has for me, and hopefully to give Him less slugs to pick from my garden.

Happy Spring!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Wonderful reflection and post and welcome back :)!

    ReplyDelete