Friday, June 10, 2011

And the honor goes to...

My friend Ellie nominated me for "Best Home, Farm, and Garden" blog award.  I am totally humbled and honored to accept the nod in my direction, only I lament that I'm more "home and garden" than "farm" at this point!  I so wish that we still had our lovely ladies around, so that my once-bestowed title of "Chicken Lady" would still be apropos!  But alas, we must move on.

In Memory.  Gosh they are cute.

As part of the nomination, I am supposed to tell all nine of my readers seven interesting things about myself, and then nominate five more blogs for awards.

Seven things about me:
1.)  I have a downright horrible memory.  It is a constant source of embarrassment, frustration, and irritation to me.  I can watch a movie and a month later, re-order it on Netflix, watch it, and have almost no recollection that I've ever watched it.  The nice thing about my bad memory is that things always seem new and exciting.  Tell me a funny story and I will roll on the ground laughing.  Tell it to me three days later, and I'll STILL roll on the ground laughing, not because I'm humoring you, but because I didn't remember the punchline from three days ago.  It is also very hard for me to hold grudges or "keep score" in relationships.  I easily forget hurts and wrongs others to do me.  The flip side is that I also forget hurts and wrongs I do to others, so if I don't realize right away I've done something wrong to offend another, I won't remember the original incident long after it has happened.  It doesn't mean I'm cold, heartless or unfeeling, or that I am pretending I did nothing wrong.  It is simply that I don't remember!!  My family and friends (for the most part) know this about me and hopefully love me in spite of it!  (Insert sheepish grin here.)

2.)  My idea of a perfect date is to sit on the couch with Ken, with the house full of both healthy and naughty snacks, and watch an entire trilogy or movie series without one single interruption.  (Bathroom breaks excluded of course.)  Following nominations: Lord of the Rings (obvious first choice), The Matrix, and Harry Potter.  I would put Star Wars in for the husband.

3.)  In spite of my attempts toward eating healthy, I have a total weakness for McDonald's, particularly the fries.  I blame the golden arches for the fifty pounds I gained this last pregnancy.  Oops.

4.)  My favorite ice cream, which I hope can some day follow me into Heaven (assuming that's where I end up, which is a large assumption, I know!) is Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby.  The chocolate.  The peanut butter ribbons.  The chocolate -covered, peanut-butter-filled pretzels.  Oh my.

5.)  I am firmly annoyed by respectfully disagree with those who feel you can't be Catholic and an environmentalist.  Or those who think you can't be Catholic and think that man did not, in fact, walk with the dinosaurs.  I believe that faith and science can, and should, dovetail quite nicely together, but I will save the rest of my opinions on this for another post.  

6.)  I don't have a lot of friends.  (Wait for the explanation!)  I am the type of person that can't do the "lots of acquaintances" thing.  I end up feeling really disconnected.  I treasure deeper relationships, which can really only happen (at least at this point in my life) with a smaller group of people.  It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy large gatherings, parties, social events, because I love those too.  But it is very overwhelming to me to try to maintain the types of friendships I feel I need with a huge group of people.  It's like watering down the juice.

7.)  I wrote in my journal the first day I met Ken that he was the man I would marry.  I loved him from day one.  I will love him until the final day.  He is the mirror that shows me who I really am, and loves me in spite of it.  He puts up with my neuroses, the bees in my bonnets (gardens and chickens) and even trusts me when he might not be sure of the outcome (homeschooling and homebirthing.)  Even though I don't tell him enough, he is a super-hero father, a doting husband, and does way more than live just up to my unreasonably high expectations...he exceeds them.  (Positive points.  Just positive points.)  I can't wait to celebrate our ten years in October.

And now for my nominations!  Being new to the blog world, I hope you forgive me for only having FOUR nominations!  (Ellie, I'm assuming I can't re-nominate you, but you'd be on the list if I could!)

1.  Best "Tell it Like it Is" blog award has to go to Alexis at Catholic Love Life  Constantly laughing, but also inspired and strengthened by her tales of life with four young children.

2.  Best "This is What Farming SHOULD Be" blog award goes to Will at Whitmore Farm.  Not only the nicest person I think I've ever met, but totally committed to farming and raising animals in a way that respects the earth and its creatures.  And when I tell you his eggs are like nothing you've ever tasted, I'm not yolking.  And the sausage.  And the bacon.  Oh my.

3.  Best "Hate to Love It and Love to Hate It" blog award goes to Shower of Roses.  I'm not gonna lie, I can't really read this blog without having a panic attack that I'm not doing enough, or that I'm doing everything wrong.  That said, if I need a quick idea for what the heck to do to celebrate a certain saint, or Catholic feast day, or really anything, this is my go-to place.  I love it.  But I hate it.  I hate to love it.  I love to hate it.  :-)

4.  Best "Reading and Fooding" blog award goes to Ree Drummond at The Pioneer Woman.  Not only amazing recipes, but hysterical presentation!  Reading a recipe from her blog constantly makes me smile.  She makes cooking fun!  (She's so good she's getting a Food Network Show!)

1 comment:

  1. You almost make me want to write a blog...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete