Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Something to Crow About

 We saw Peter Pan at Wolftrap this Sunday.  I thought it was a delightful show and the girls loved it also.  Peter Pan was played by Cathy Rigby.  I'm not sure if people know or remember her, but I knew I had "heard that name before."  I didn't realize she was a former Olympic gymnast, nor did I realize she is FIFTY-EIGHT years old.  Within the first few moments of the show, it was obvious that this woman had amazing physical ability, but to combine that with a great voice and acting talent....God's gifts were not lost on her!  I found myself getting a little choked up at the beginning of the show.  The orchestra was fabulous.  The set was perfect.  And then, of course, Cathy just blew the house down.  I've finally realized that I get so choked up at performances and things like this because it's such a simple, clear way to see the beauty goodness of God.  He really has given to each one of us such special talents and gifts.  When you go to a play, or a concert performance, a puppet theater show, or whatever, it's like seeing SO many of God's people using those gifts and sharing them so unselfishly with others.  It's all in one place, and all working together to form this beautiful whole.  It is just overwhelming sometimes.  I think it's so special.

I've always wished I had that kind of talent---to act, or sing, or play an instrument.  But alas, not so much.  I do have a wee something to crow about, but first I have to share my reference.  Here's a YouTube clip of Cathy Rigby singing the song "I Gotta Crow"...it's short, and if you want to see a fifty-eight year old Olympic gymnast look like she hasn't missed a beat, here ya go!


I'm feeling rather proud of myself because I built the Omlet coop yesterday!  We picked it up on Sunday on the way home from the play.  The van was stuffed LITERALLY to the gills with these boxes.  We couldn't see the girls in the back of the van, they couldn't see out the windows, and I was amazed we made it home safely!  I finally unloaded them in the rain yesterday afternoon and decided to get started.  I've never really built anything all by myself.  Caeley did help a lot, so I will give her due credit.  And thank goodness for the cordless drill, which I called an "electric screwdriver" when I called Ken to ask where the battery was.  Oops.  I think that people who have careers building things, who get to see the fruits of their hard work so concretely every day, must have a huge sense of accomplishment and pride in their work.  Sure, I didn't build a house or anything, but I'm proud that I took this project on, told myself I was going to do it, and I did it.
My dad taught me well-always lay everything out and make sure you have all the parts.


Finished with the first steps of the base and front.

My test chicken.



Ailin was certain this was a new play house for her.  She even started climbing the ladder.  When I told her she couldn't, she started bringing little kid chairs into the run instead.  SO FUNNY!

Tweaking the lid hinge so that it slides better.  You can see the inside of the coop here: nesting area on the left, roosting area on the right (the slatted roosting floor isn't in the picture).  I'm super excited because this will double as my "brooder" for the chicks, and I won't have to buy or use anything else.  I can install the back side, and leave the roof off for a perfect little chick brooder box.  The chicks will also be very used to their coop from day one!
The mostly completed coop.  The extension for the run won't ship until October, so the front enclosed area (which you can't see well in this picture) will be much bigger and will have a door.  We don't need it yet, thank goodness!

Not gonna lie.  I was tired.  But proud.  Er, Er, ER-ER!

No comments:

Post a Comment