I have had some questions from folks about my "homeschool planning" and curriculum choices, and thought I would just start keeping a common place where everyone who is interested can just come and glean what they need from my stuff. I am not really sure the best way to share things, but will try to start out with Google Document links to some sample schedules from last year (First Grade) and this year (Second Grade.) I hope that this will be a good place to start for those of you who have asked what we have been up to.
Here is our current Second Grade Weekly Schedule
Here is the schedule we did last year for First Grade: First Grade Weekly Schedule
I should also add the "proviso" that these schedules represent a PERFECT homeschooling day, and by no means ever look exactly like what you see on paper. It has been an especially humbling experience to try to come somewhere close since the baby has been born! And we've kinda given up "tea time" in Lent, since tea time is normally the time when we eat more "special treat" types of things (and when mommy re-fuels for the afternoon!)...all things we have tried to give up for Lent.
Please also note that my "philosophy" of homeschooling would probably be called "Catholic Charlotte Mason with a bit of Classical thrown in." I don't do any one particular "brand" of homeschooling whole hog, but pull from many and varied resources to figure out what materials to use and how to schedule our time. For example, I love Charlotte Mason's methodology in terms of narration, dictation, nature study, artist and composer study, but I get a lot of ideas for supplemental reading and literature from my classical resources. When you dig into it further, although there are some key differences, a Charlotte Mason and a Classical approach go wonderfully together! You can look more fully into both these approaches by checking out the following websites...
Catholic Charlotte Mason Website
Ambleside Online
...and by looking through the following books:
Real Learning: Education in the Heart of the Home
The Well Trained Mind
Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum
I am still working on our schedule for Third Grade and will try to get that up when it's done. That could be next week, that could be July! :-) For now, I hope this is some help to those who have asked.
I am tired just looking at it! Please don't remind me I have the same times 3!I must be crazy...
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy just to have read your blog about this. I feel a sense of direction only because I have, within the last two weeks, come across two of the books mentioned!! Charlotte Mason and the Well Trained Mind. How exciting for me! Grady will be four years old this year, but we are working on Five in a Row (Homeschool Curriculum for 2-4 year olds). We wanted to send him to Redeemer Classical Christian and still may (looking to the Lord's leading for ALL of it). Have you come across this book http://www.titus2.com/ecommerce/products/prod_listing.php/1100 ? I think this will be my next purchase as far as literature goes for knowing what to plan, how, when etc. Wish me luck.
ReplyDeleteAzzi---I have seen that book o line, but not in person. I just make my own stuff on the computer--- I find that I always have issues with pre made ones and if I do my own I can customize the schedules however I want. DO spend time looking at all those things, they do give you great ideas for how to schedule stuff.
ReplyDeleteGlad the post was helpful.